When you’re running a small business, you’re only as good as the team around you. Hiring the right people is a start, but how do you turn your employees into a well-oiled dream team?
Here are five tips to get you started:
- Get to know them – Different backgrounds and personalities typically come with different strengths. By really getting to know your employees and what makes them tick, you can harness their strengths in a way that complements the overall team.
- Involve them early and often – Clearly defined business goals, visions and values keep everyone on the same trajectory. Celebrating wins along the way will give employees a sense of belonging and help them see the impact they have on your business.
- Keep negatives in check – Spotting and resolving problems early on is critical to keeping team culture alive. Personality clashes, micromanagement and competing agendas can really damage a team.
- Let them know what’s expected – Clearly defined roles are paramount in a functional team. If lines are blurred and employees are uncertain, cohesion goes out the window. Make sure your team knows exactly what is expected and that roles are regularly reassessed.
- Team-building that won’t break the bank – While playing paintball or go-karting can be a great way to get your employees to gel, team-building doesn’t need to be elaborate or expensive. Knocking off early on a Friday for drinks and nibbles at the local beach can be equally valuable.
Building a winning team comes down to a leader that inspires and makes employees feel valued. This doesn’t always come naturally, so don’t be afraid to ask for help.